The following work will be conducted on campus over the next week:
- Demolition of the Bing Center is continuing.
- Hazmat abatement and internal demolition of the Hammer, Ahmanson, and Art of the Americas buildings are continuing.
- The Spaulding Lot has closed to the public, the sound wall on the south and east side as well as the construction fence along the north side of the lot have been completed, and the construction fence on the west side will soon be built.
- Construction fencing will be built along Wilshire Boulevard to provide for public safety and within the EIR project site plan.
- Construction fencing will be built along the southwest corner of the site north of Wilshire, just east of Urban Light.
- Installation of new bicycle racks has been completed just west of Urban Light.
Our general contractor, Clark Construction, is working diligently to ensure a safe work environment for the crews working on the site, particularly during the coronavirus pandemic. To that end, Clark Construction and its subcontractors have taken all necessary protective measures in accordance with government guidelines, which include the following.
- As in all of their ongoing projects throughout the country, Clark Construction is requiring that all work be done in accordance with OSHA guidelines and industry best practices, with workers in full protective gear, enhanced cleaning protocols, and social distancing rules.
- Hazmat abatement and internal demolition crews are fitted with full-body clothing/hazmat suits, gloves, eye protection, and breathing equipment, and all personnel working outside the buildings are required at all times to wear protective gloves, eye protection, face covering, and head protection.
- All workers are required to exercise social distancing of six feet or more, and all indoor meetings have been eliminated.
- Additional hand washing stations have been installed and the frequency with which they are cleaned and supplied has been increased.
- The frequency of cleaning of all high-touch areas, including portable bathrooms, has been increased.
- Workers are encouraged to wash hands frequently and anyone who exhibits any respiratory symptoms is required to quarantine at home.
- An on-site COVID-19 supervisor, who is also a medic, has been designated and is in charge of ensuring implementation of all proper protocols and guidelines.